How We Will Travel in 2020
As we get ready to head into a new decade, we wanted to look at the 2020 travel trends that will shape the way we all vacation and shape the industry as a whole. So what will the main 2020 travel trends be? We decided to delve a little deeper and pick out the most important shifts happening…
- Shareability is king: Travellers, partners, and influencers will seek an environment to create shareable moments.
- People-based growth: Visitor growth in itself is not a goal. Increasing the value of visitors for all parties is.
- The rise of the ‘second city’ traveler: The exploration of lesser known destinations will take a leap forward with awareness campaigns to entice visitors to take the road less travelled.
- Ecotourism: The environment has moved from a fringe issue for many to become one of the most important factors in planning a trip.
- Slo-Mo is the new #FOMO: Travel in 2020 will be all about taking it slow, 48% of travelers plan to take slower modes of transport to reduce their carbon impact and 61% would prefer to take a longer route to experience more of the journey itself.
- Cash Free Travel: A whole new range of cashless solutions means that we might reach the stage where you might not even have to have any local currency whatsoever on a trip abroad.
- No pets, no holiday: 2020 looks set to herald a new era in pet-centric vacations. Travellers will put the needs of their beloved pets well before their own when it comes to selecting where to go, where to stay and what to do.
- Travel That is Transformative: The idea of making a difference, helping others, but also helping oneself, even when they vacation will guide 2020 travellers. Yoga retreats and art therapy retreats will be big draws.
- Personalized service: Everybody – from hotels, airlines and ride sharing companies to Google – knows more about you than ever before. To many this is a creepy invasion of privacy, but the net effect could means a much more fluid and enjoyable travel experience.
- Veganism: This also ties in with ecotourism and veganism will continue to manifest itself in 2020 travel trends. Vegan-only trips, retreats and cooking classes will come to the fore even more over the coming years, as the world changes its eating habits.
- The Gig Economy: From the moment you click on your app for a cab at the airport you are entering the world of the gig economy. This is the world where individuals are using technology to connect with people traveling and offering a service for a cheaper fee. Services like Uber, AirBnB and Deliveroo or any service that cuts of the middle man will be a key trend.
(sources: Destination Think and Booking.com)